Sunday, April 09, 2006

New York Doll

We watched New York Doll last night. I've been eagerly awaiting this movie ever since it made a brief appearance in the theater down the street from us, but I was sort of disappointed when I finally watched it. I realize now that I probably read too many reviews of the movie in which the reviewer provided their own interpretation of the different scenes. Instead the movie seems more like a collage of different scenes that are linked together by Arthur Kane and his own personal dreams and hopes. Some call it a conversion story. Others describe it as a sort of message movie that suggests God answers prayers even if your prayer is about your rock band. I think the real magic of this movie though is that it's not necessarily trying to do anything but tell Arthur's story. So there really isn't a straight forward story line, but that's the beauty of the film because Arthur himself wasn't straight forward or easily reducible. And the fact that I have very little knowledge of rock history (despite all my husband's attempts to educate me) probably also contributed to my sense of confusion while watching this movie. After taking some time to reflect on it, I think there's much more to the movie than I originally thought and to anyone who hasn't yet seen this movie, I recommend it, but I also suggest watching it without any expectations.

No comments: