Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Denim Day at UCLA

What is Denim Day, you ask. Well, according to a flyer I was handed and the official website, Denim Day is a day to support survivors of sexual assault by wearing jeans. This year it's being observed today, April 19. The denim aspect refers to the story of a young girl who was raped, but because she was wearing tight jeans at the time, the judge overturned the rape conviction, stating that the assailant couldn't have removed the jeans if put up any sort of resistance, making the act consensual. I'm all for supporting sexual assault victims and for calling attention to uninformed and ignorant assumptions that have long been used to discredit these victims. In my mind, some of today's attitudes about rape are just as destructive and asinine as the old medieval theory that all women are sexually insatiable.

From what I could learn on the internet, Denim Day on behalf of sexual assault victims is recognized mostly in California and especially in Los Angeles. I don't often like to get too involved with groups on campus, but I think this issue is especially important and worth taking the time to spread the word. And lucky me: I was in tune with the Los Angeles vibe when I decided to wear jeans today. You can bet that wherever I live next year, I'll be sure to wear jeans on Denim Day.

No comments: