Sunday, July 16, 2006

Out of the Mouths of Babes

So I don't have any cute little kids of my own to tell stories about, but I do have the nursery and the occasional babysitting. Perhaps no one will find this as amusing as I did, but last Sunday in nursery one little three-year-old was walking around singing "Life is a highway. I want to drive it all night long." I assume he picked it up from the movie Cars, but it just seemed like the funniest thing to see a three-year-old singing, maybe because my friends used to belt it at the top of their lungs as an anthem of freedom and wild times.

And yesterday I got to babysit for most of the day. Yeah, I got to. Anyway, the kids I watched were quite precocious and nice, so I didn't mind playing with them or reading books. While we we're building a tower out of blocks the five-year-old girl asked, "Do you have any kids?" Since her question was obviously innocently meant, I told her that no we didn't because God hadn't given us any yet. Without missing a beat she said, "Well maybe he'll give you some kids when you're old just like John the Baptist's parents." I admit I had to smile after that frank response. And maybe he will.

No comments: