Monday, July 03, 2006

The Face of Girls' Camp

When I was asked to be the Girls' Camp director, I was told that most of the planning has been done, so my creative juices wouldn't be needed. I'm fine with that since I haven't been to Girls' Camp in more than ten years, but I wasn't sure what my role would be then. I didn't want to sound power hungry or anything, so I asked if I would be "the face" of Girls' Camp. Looking back, that seems like an equally egotistical question and now that's how the stake likes to refer to me as "the face" of Girls' Camp. It just sounds so weird, like I'm the poster girl. If all the young women are good they can grow up to be just like me!

So I've been trying to figure out exactly what I'm responsible for. Because Youth Conference is this weekend, all the stake leaders are incredibly busy, which means none of them will have time to sit down with me until sometime next week, or later. I'm beginning to think that it would be harder for them to turn stuff over to me than to just do it themselves. In other words, I'm nothing more than a figure head, a puppet camp director. And I can't really say I have a problem with that.

In other news, I finally got bored enough today that I decided to start looking at temp agencies. It's not a pretty sight. There are plenty around here, but I'm thinking I'll have a tough time getting any work since I'll need time off for camp and my trip to Louisiana. And the thought of doing clerical work doesn't seem very exciting right now, but I'll try to register with a few places and see what happens. Most of these agencies also seem to place a lot of people in call centers or telemarketing. I'd rather flip burgers at McDonald's than take one of those jobs.

No comments: