Friday, July 25, 2008

Little Controversy

Mars Needs Moms!
Mars Needs Moms! by Berkeley Breathed
I first heard about this book on NPR. Apparently some publishers had some issues with the plot. There's a moment when the mom seems to sacrifice her life for her son's and I guess some people thought that was a bit too serious for the book. Whether that's true or not, the story was a great way to get me to look for the book the next time I was at a book store. Personally, I found the plot endearing rather than traumatic, but then my little one isn't old enough yet to react to those sorts of things, so maybe I'm naive.



Little Boy
Little Boy by Allison Mcghee
This book, on the other hand, bothered me in a way I didn't expect. After reading the first few pages I picked this book up as a gift for a friend who just had a little boy. It just seemed delightful. A few days later I had time to read the whole thing and as I did I noticed that something was missing. In several of the pictures there's a man, presumably the dad, but there's no mom. I like to think of myself as open minded, but I was horrified that there was no mom in this book and I think I took it a little personally. I overreacted. Could it be that this is a subversive appeal to the gay rights movement I wondered. But then when I discovered that the book was inspired by one of my favorite William Carlos Williams poems I started to think, well maybe the kid's mom died or his parents are divorced and he's being raised by his dad. That's not so bad. In fact it's kind of sweet.

But here's what I really want to know. Does anyone else notice these sorts of things in children's books? Am I the only one who's psycho or do you find yourself scrutinizing the text and illustrations of books that seem to be a little off? The book Guess How Much I Love You is about a boy and his dad, but because they're bunnies I've never thought twice about the book. I just don't want to turn into one of those people who won't let my kid watch Teletubbies because Tinky Winky is a boy who carries a purse.

2 comments:

Cami said...

That's interesting. I think there's something to be said for having a book about a dad and a son having time together. I mean, I'm not always around when Jake's with the boys. However, I have read some kids books that have bothered me. For example, in one about a boo boo, a little boy bunny gets hurt, and then both parents help him feel better, but it's daddy that is doing most of it. Mommy makes some food for him, but "daddy whispers magic words for boo boos to be gone." I don't know, I felt like that was mommy's job. It felt a little lopsided, but maybe that kid was just a daddy's boy.

But boy, there are agendas in kids books for sure. I just read one about penguins that blamed me for global warming!!

Elder Richey said...

I used to like a book called The Rainbow Fish--have you heard of it? Anyway, then I read Ayn Rand's, The Fountainhead, and the next time I read the fish book I was really really bothered by its message. That whole idea that we all have to be the same and nobody is special and there are no winners or losers. And why can't the fish be friends with the sparkly fish without expecting him to give them one of his sparkle fins? I was bugged.

Yep, there are some weird kid books out there with some pretty interesting social messages.