Recently Five Guys Burgers and Fries came to Salt Lake City and we heard that
I love food, but I'll be the first one to admit that I'm no foodie. My tastes aren't sophisticated enough. Up until my mission I was only willing to eat about five different fruits or vegetables (raw carrots, green beans, fresh shelled peas, bananas, and oranges). Yes, it's pretty miraculous that I never got scurvy.
Five Guys does let me do my burger my way and it's not embarrassing or a big deal. In a sense it felt like ordering a pizza because the menu includes a long list of toppings, so it's no big deal for me to tell them exactly what I want: cheeseburger, ketchup, mustard, and pickles. I don't have to worry about saying, please hold the tomato or the onions or no special sauce, just ketchup and mustard. I always feel like such a little kid asking them to hold stuff, so normally I just take it off once I get the burger to a table. And if you happen to like sauteed mushrooms or fried onions you can get that on your burger, but there's no guacamole or blue cheese.
Even though, in this house, it's like declaring myself a communist in the middle of the cold war to say that any burger is as good as In and Out--I'm married to a man reared on In and Out--I'm going to say that it was (especially because he rarely reads this blog and I've already been labled a pinko for not putting cranberry sauce on my turkey). It's the kind of burger that sticks with you though. Later that night after only eating a few Starbursts and some mini-candy bars I felt full and sick to my stomach. And I pride myself on being able to eat as much candy as I want without feeling any sort of repercussions. I also woke up with a stomach ache the next morning. But because there's no In and Out within a comfortable driving distance and because it did taste so much like In and Out, I'll have to go again and see if it really was the burger or the Starbursts.

4 comments:
We LOVE 5 guys. Here's my problem: all the cool food places from the East eventually go West. No cool food places from the West come East. Lame.
Did you eat peanuts while you were waiting?
I DO love stuff on my burgers, but still, that place is awesome. I say, "the works" and I have a burger that's too big for me to eat for under $5. That's awesome.
Cami, I was hoping to hear your view on 5 Guys. We didn't eat peanuts, but I did see them around. Honestly we didn't have to wait too long which was another perk. Usually we wait longer at In and Out.
Are they as good as Artic Circle hamburgers? (Better not tell spouse that I asked that :-)
I'LL TELL HIM!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment