Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes?

As part of the writing process, I've been trying to incorporate the "publication" phase, meaning the paper is completed and presented to an audience. The only way I've done that so far is to have students read their papers to the class. My sixth graders especially love to share their work. Recently I had them write a paragraph about their favorite hobby and why they like it. I wasn't going to have them read their paragraphs, but one of my students kept asking me about it. His favorite hobby is creating movies on his computer and he turned his paragraph into a movie. Each sentence flashed up on the tv screen, but the best part was that after giving a reason why he liked this hobby and listing an example, he could actually show that example.

One of his reasons was that he could make funny imaginary movies, which he followed with, "For example, Mrs. Timidtripper versus Mr. Math Teacher." Suddenly two digital characters appeared on the screen: a woman with shoulder length brown hair and a grey pants suit and a bald man. The two characters each landed a few punches, but finally my avatar knocked the math teacher to the ground and placing her foot on his chest, pumped her fists. The kids were hooting and hollering and I giggled nervously. But when I saw the outcome I said to him, I guess you know who grades your English papers don't you?

3 comments:

Cami said...

Nice job! It's his own little celebrity boxing!

Andrea said...

Heheheh - that's a great story. Oh, the awkwardness of not knowing how the movie was going to end!

p.s. - BTW, do you remember Sunny from the WF program? She ended up teaching advanced English writing in a college in Sarajevo, and they took that publishing idea further and made a book through the Student Press Initiative. Interesting stuff, given that the students were ten- and 12-year olds when the war in the Balkans broke out.

Timid Tripper said...

That's interesting stuff about Sunny. I'd love to do more actual publishing with my students, but that's a goal for a year or two down the road.