If you've ever seen Bride and Prejudice, there's a scene where the Elizabeth character and the Darcy character dance and frolic around a curvy, metal building. For some reason, I found the building stunning and I was fascinated by it. Because the scene took place in Los Angeles, I wondered if the building was actually in LA and while watching Sketches of Frank Gehry, I guessed that his Walt Disney Concert Hall was the very building used in that scene. Regardless, of whether it was in the movie (it is), after seeing the Gehry documentary, I was determined to visit the building while we lived in Pasadena. Every time we drove through downtown LA, I would see the sign notifying drivers of which exit to take to get to the concert hall and occassionally I could glimpse bits of metal pointing up above the other buildings, but while living there, we never made it to the concert hall. While we were in California this December, I talked Dan into driving me down to see the concert hall and after more begging and whining, he agreed to follow me around the building while I took the free audio tour. He wasn't interested in listening to the tour, and he wasn't much interested in following me around. But then they let us see the actual auditorium and climb to the top of the building. Those two sights and the fact that he made his wife happy just might have made up for the inconvenience. So if you're ever in LA, take time to stop by the Walt Disney Concert Hall. The building is incredible and they offer regular free tours or you can take the free audio tour. It sure beats the Hollywood museums where they charge you $12 just to see a replica of the Cheers bar or Whoopi's purple dress from Ghost. Now I just need to make it to a concert at this place. 

Sunday, January 06, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That's so rad! Man I wish I could've been there. Someday. You know, when I'm living in San Francisco or something... =)
Cool! I'll have to watch Bride and Prej again just to see that building!
Post a Comment