Tuesday, January 22, 2008

North and South

Over the past few years, I've been drifting away from National Public Radio towards books on tape. At first, I only listened to what I might call "fluffy" books; stuff I wouldn't take the time to read but would help me pass the time at my job, like the Amelia Peabody mysteries. Then I discovered that listening to audio books was the most efficient way to become more familiar with what my students are reading. But I've always shied away from books that I felt should be read, books that might require a bit more thought than I can afford to give while negotiating Utah's freeways.

Recently, I've begun to realize though that there are some books, that despite my best intentions, I'm never going to get around to reading. Lucky for me, our new library doesn't compare to Salt Lake but it's got a great audio books collection and has several books that would appeal to the more academic taste, like Villette by Charlotte Bronte (a book that I wouldn't dare listen to until I've read it once). When I saw North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, I figured I'd give it a try. I've heard good things about the movie and I've seen the movie adaptation of Wives and Daughters also by Elizabeth Gaskell, so I figured it was worth the listen.

Today I finished listening to it and I have to say that I'm disappointed. Fairly early on, I was able to pick out the man of choice for Margaret, the protagonist, and the plot seemed fairly straight forward: another Pride and Prejudice sort of tale where the misunderstood man has to convince the leading lady that he's not as poor a choice as he first seemed. Of course, this book brings in the complexities of life in the factory towns of the north and has quite a bit to say about the rights of working people. And that was interesting, but to be perfectly honest, I was in it for the romance. Even though I had the story all worked out, I wanted badly to know how everything would arrive at that end, so I decided to stick it out and finish the book. Besides, how hard is it to finish an audio book? It's not like I really had to exert myself, although Juliet Stevens, the reader, does such a great job with the Northern accents, I did struggle to get the gist of what those characters were saying.

Finally, after fourteen hours of CD, and a lot of moping about and dealing with annoyingly selfish relatives, Margaret is reconciled and reunited with her admirer, but my was that reunion disappointing. After agonizing with the poor, lonely Margaret, I felt like I deserved a fairly rapturous profession of love, but instead the book ended rather abruptly and without an eloquent declaration of devotion. I'm confident that the movie will do a much better job of fulfilling my expectations.

So if you're not interested in a critique of Victorian Era social classes, don't bother with the book. That's not to say that the book isn't well-written and perhaps if I had read it, I'd have a much better opinion of the book. But if like me, you're mostly in it for the romance, and tight on time, I'd just get a copy of the movie. Lucky for me, my sister owns a copy, so hopefully, my need for a romantic resolution will be shortly satisfied.

6 comments:

Cami said...

Funny, I just listened to Villette on Librivox inbetween reading (while I was cleaning and such). But I had read it before, and I agree--it would be hard to listen to the first time. I have those other to on my shelf ready to read, but I SO love the Wives and Daughters movie. Maybe I'll wait until I'm immersed in Vic Lit to read it and just make it part of a set.

Elder Richey said...

If you want the romance then you will definitely find it in the movie's ending. They changed it for the better . . .

Gaskell herself may have agreed with you about that final chapter between Thornton and Margaret. The book was originally serialized and Charles Dickens put some restrictions on how much she could write. In one of her letters Gaskell indicates that the last chapter was shortened but then adds, "I am not sure if, when the barrier gives way between two characters as Mr. Thornton and Margaret it would not all go smash in a moment,--and I don't feel quiet certain that I dislike it as it now stands."

Sure, the ending was maybe a little less than could be hoped for, but what about all the little romantic tidbits throughout (now that we both admit to having read it purely for the romantic element--he he).

I'll make sure the next book I recommend has a juicier ending :)

Oh, and I loved Wives and Daughters movie too. I read that one before having any knowledge that Gaskell died before finishing it. It has no final scene!! I just didn't want you to be as let down as I was since we're on the topic of endings.

I'd love to see some pictures of your house. You can e-mail them to me if you don't want to post them on your blog.

Christa said...

When I was in London we all gushed over how amazing the ending of North & South is. I was a little slow on the uptake tho - I thought my flatmates were just watching that 80s semi-epic about the Civil War. =) Anyway, it now holds the precious of title of Freaking Best Screen Kiss EVER in my cinematic heart of hearts. But I mean, don't like, get unrealistic expectations or anything... ;)

Timid Tripper said...

Katie,
Thanks for the insight. It makes me feel better that Gaskell also felt that the two characters were smashed together.

And I have a hard time understanding how Charles Dickens of all people could put restrictions on how much anyone could write. And thanks for the warning about Wives and Daughters. That's good to know.

Yeah, I'm not saying that it didn't have it's romantic moments or that it wasn't well written. Those moments of romance are what kept me going, but they seemed to promise so much more than what was delivered. A pox on Mr. Dickens!

The Charm said...

Yes - the end of North and South is quite great and let's face it, Thornton is even cuter than the recent Captain Wentworth (in my humble opinion). Although you have put a pox on Mr. D, if you feel include to give him a second chance check out Bleak House. It's very long, but quite addictive and has some good romantic lines going through and fabulous characters (you'll love to hate Guppy!). Also, it has Margaret's friend (the one with lung problems) as one of the principles in Bleak House. She plays quite a different character and shows what an amazing actress she is to have such range. Long live Brit Lit movie adaptations by those wonderful BBC fellows! :)

MrsVegasBabe said...

What I got out of your post here was that you have not been enjoying your NPR... (I watched parts of the movie, but all I remember is being horrified that people ate horse meat). I can totally relate to the books on tape zapping your NPR time... finally, when I realized that my fiancé knew more about US AND Las Vegas news that I did (he was in Iraq at the time)... I decided to get back in touch with my old friends like Carl Castle and Cokie Roberts.

I am thinking that the emotional impact of musings of passionate folks like Ira and Terry might be more satisfying than the ending of that audio book… follow my current-event-ignorance-guilt-inspired lead and come back home to a drive-time friend you can trust!

VegasBabe