Because this was our first time to go to the Shakespearean Festival and we were too cheap to get a hotel, we figured we'd just drive down in the morning, catch a matinee, and then drive back after the play. Unfortunately Dan picked up my head cold just in time to feel congested the entire Saturday. So things started out rough for him. Otherwise the drive down wasn't too bad and I really enjoyed the play (Twelfth Night). Dan slept through the first twenty minutes, but then he woke up and enjoyed it enough to decide he'd like to come back sometime when he didn't feel so rotten. After the play, based on my sister's recommendation, we stopped at The Pastry Pub, which I now also highly recommend. I'm really not a foody, but the food was great and the atmosphere was cozy. It was a great way to cap off our Cedar City experience.
We should have realized that things weren't going to go as planned, when on our drive down we saw a sign that said "Danger wild fire right lane closed next 24 miles." We laughed about the absurdity of the sign. If a wild fire was really close enough to be dangerous, it's not like driving in the left lane would be that much protection. But apparently while we were at the play, things did get really dangerous, and two people were killed on I-15 due to low visibility from the smoke. That caused the highway patrol to close the freeway for over ninety-five miles. So at the turn off to HWY 20, near Beaver, we sat in traffic for two hours while they forced us off the freeway over to HWY 89. Even though we were on the other side of the mountain range and we didn’t really know what was going on, we could tell that there was a lot of smoke because it got dark earlier.
We've now learned our lesson. Next time we go to Cedar City, we'll get a hotel room. I'm just glad Dan's still considering a next time. And it seems that in addition to planning for snow storms in the winter, we'll also have to start planning for wild fires in the summer.

2 comments:
That's crazy! It seems like this summer there's been more wildfires than any other summer I've been in Utah, and I heard this fire may be the largest in Utah in years. I didn't realize the fire was in the area that you guys were travelig - I'm glad you made it home safely!
Ugh, I hate when the driving ruins things. I'm glad you got to see Shakespeare though. I saw 2 plays this summer outside. It was lovely. I'm doing the same thing with Maryland--trying to enjoy everythign around while I can. It would be hard to move from here, but we probably will.
Post a Comment