Wednesday, May 21, 2008

the windmills should have been a clue

that our new house sits in the middle of a wind tunnel.

So now that I have a jogging stroller, I'm discovering that going jogging with the baby is more complicated than I thought. First of all I had no idea how exhausted I would be and that it would take awhile before we were all sleeping through the night. That's happening about three nights a week these days, so some mornings I feel well rested enough to try some additional physical exertion. There's also the wind, but I've heard it's not as bad here as in parts of Colorado or the Sahara. Then there's the bugs. We live near a nice paved walking path, but there's lots of standing water. Right now there're little clouds of bugs that I suspect are gnats, but could be mosquitoes. I'm trying not to be too over protective, but neither do I want to expose my child to West Nile virus. And don't forget the poison air days when it is ill-advised to take little children outside or to be outside exercising even if one is a hardy adult. With all these obstacles, no wonder America has an obesity problem.

I've decided that as long as I can push the stroller through it, I can handle the wind, but otherwise I'll play it safe. I'd really like to get some sort of mosquito net though and clip it to my stroller. And even if I am a bit overly cautious, isn't that part of the first child experience?

8 comments:

Cami said...

Sure, run through the wind! Fresh air is good for the kid. My problem with the jogging with child is that it's always too hot during the hours I want to take her. i cannot run in humidity. It's horrible. So it's great during a couple months a year and very early in the morning (when my hubby can watch her anyway). But I have a nice new stroller, so jog we shall, humidity or not!!

ritabega said...

I like the net idea! Soon little Anna will be jogging with you (had to throw that in :-).

Anonymous said...

yes, the net works. If it works in a Kenyan hospital, it'll work on a baby stroller.

ritabega said...

I love the title to this post! :-)

Anonymous said...

Whatever Mom

Anonymous said...

AFDSJGDXHGRDMJGFTRE

Anonymous said...

POST!

Brittany said...

I bought a stroller mosquito net at Babies R Us a year or two ago. I haven't needed to use it yet, but I like to keep it on hand just in case. Just wanted to let you know that the product does exist!

Where did you move, anyway?