Thursday, May 15, 2008

Improving War and Peace

I've been reading War and Peace now for about five years and for a former English major I think that's five years too many. Now that my days are filled with plenty of sitting time I've decided that it’s time to push through the last four hundred or so pages, only I'm not having so much success. I'm enjoying the story, but it's the book, or rather, the size of it, that's keeping me from getting to the end. So at the risk of sounding like a philistine, I'm just going to throw out a suggestion: why not publish the book in smaller volumes? I mean if they can do it to Tolkien, why not Tolstoy?

At the book’s current size it’s possible but not very convenient or safe to read in bed. Nor is it easily stuffed into a purse or bag. And although I am doing lots of sitting these days, I usually only have one free hand, which isn’t quite strong enough to prop the book open on it’s own, especially with a baby who’s becoming more alert and wiggly. Anyway, I just thought I’d throw this thought out there instead of actually reading the book.

4 comments:

Cami said...

I hear you! The size of some volumes really frightens me away sometimes. I've never gotten through Don Quixote because it's just so huge! Someday I have to tackle War and Peace too, and I think I may do some of it Ipod style. Some say that's cheating, but I say it's better than nothing.

Elder Richey said...

If it's a copy that you're not absolutely in love with, might I suggest ripping out the pages? When my mom and I were traveling around Europe we only had one book between us for a long train ride so I would read and then rip out the page and hand it to her--it was great :)

Also, I got the book. What a nice surprise!! Thanks. I've already read it and now my sister-in-law is borrowing it. I'd still like to send you the baby sleep book by Marc Weissbluth. Do you have that one yet? I love it.

Timid Tripper said...

Katie,
Tearing out the pages is an interesting idea. I should try it since I'm probably not going to be reading the book again.

I don't have the baby sleep book. In fact I have very few books about babies or for babies. And it's always nice to get recommendations.

Anonymous said...

Tell you what,in my opinion, War and Peace is a stupid novel. I hate books 5 inches thick. IT'S RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!I mean, it shouldn't take five years to read a book! Man, what people do these days...