Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Job

After working at my new job for a little over a week, I’ve learned a few things.

First, thirty hours a week takes up more time than I thought, which explains why I haven’t been blogging much lately.

Second, I’m only beginning to realize the importance of deer hunting season here in Utah. Sure, people were into hunting and fishing at the high school I attended as a teenager, but the school never re-scheduled a football game in order to accommodate the opening day of deer season.

And, my job’s not as bad as I worried it would be. In fact, it has a few perks, listed below in no particular order.

  1. I get to work while it’s still dark, but the school is set up above the valley, so I get a nice view of the valley and the mountains every morning when I arrive. Of course, that’s only when I’m awake enough to pay attention. My excitement over the view has pretty much worn off after a week of early mornings.
  2. My “commute” takes me by the Chevron gas station with the cheapest* gas in the valley. It’s sort of a game for me to watch the prices on the three Chevron gas stations on my way to work to see which one has the cheapest price. And that sort of makes up for the fact that I now have to buy more gas thanks to all the driving I’m doing these days.
  3. I get to use the faculty bathroom, which is locked. Okay, so if you saw the faculty bathroom, you probably wouldn’t think that this is much of a luxury, unless you’ve seen the student bathroom. Then you know what a blessing it is to have a special bathroom.
  4. I’m kept abreast of the latest trends in body piercing. Where I work, eyebrow rings and lip rings are all the rage. I’m just waiting for the students to start piercing their cheeks. Just think, if you’ve always wanted dimples, you could just add a silver ball to both sides of your mouth, where dimples normally appear.
  5. I get to attend a class on finance. I’ve heard that Utah now requires that all high school students take a class on financial responsibility. Right now the class is discussing the ins and outs of buying a house and I’m learning all sorts of tips. I’m fascinated even if the students aren’t.

So, I'm not any closer to being like Michelle Pfiefer, but so far the job has been better than I thought it would be. At any rate, it's always interesting.

*I guess it’s not the cheapest Chevron gas, because today I passed a Chevron station with cheaper prices downtown, but it’s almost the cheapest in the valley.

6 comments:

Elder Richey said...

It's about time they require a financial class. Hopefully some of it will sink in so that someday they'll be like, "Oh, an interest only loan . . . ummmm, somewhere sometime I learned that wasn't usually the greatest idea." I'm glad you're picking up on some good tips. Please feel free to pass any along my way :)

Wow, keys to the faculty bathroom. You're in the big time now, baby!

Timid Tripper said...

You betcha!

MrsVegasBabe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MrsVegasBabe said...

Deer hunting? You mean they actually give your students guns? I guess I shouldn't brag, but we are smarter than that down here... the gang bangers have to supply their own fire power.

-VB

MrsVegasBabe said...

P.S. Sometimes I think you gotta be on acid to be able to pass the darn "word verification" test... It only took me three tries (and one delete) for that last one, so what does that say about me?

Timid Tripper said...

Nah, they don't give them guns. They just give them the time off to go shoot guns. Still not a great idea in my mind, but who am I to question tradition?