Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Foreign Films and Academy Award Winners

Dan and I recently watched Strange Brew and Rocky. Dan had seen them before, but it was my first time for both. I have to admit that I'm glad I can now say that I've seen Strange Brew. It's certainly not as classic or funny as Monte Python and the Holy Grail, but like Monte Python, it's quotable. And that seems to be the key in the world of comedy cult classics. For me, the story dragged at parts, but I loved the fact that it was loosely based on Hamlet. So in addition to a few quotable lines--"Hey! Somebody horked our clothes"--I also had fun trying to catch the allusions to Hamlet. So, if you're up for a silly movie that has some pretty funny moments, I'd say it's worth watching.

Rocky was quite a bit different than what I expected. I expected a boxing movie or a movie about training for boxing. I mean, who hasn't seen the clip of Rocky sprinting up the stairs and then pumping his fists? Dan had told me how it ended, more or less, so I knew there was a bit more to the movie than boxing in the form of Rocky's girlfriend, Adrian. But I guess I expected her to be the sort of girlfriend who wants her guy to stop boxing. I never expected her to be a shy pet shop employee. Although this movie probably relied on a few sports clichés, I also got the sense that it initiated many of them, and for that reason and because of its character development, the movie felt less cheesy and more realistic than I expected it to be. Several more movies into the franchise, it can be tough to understand how Rocky ever won a Best Picture Oscar, but I think that anyone who loves movies should take the time to watch it.

No comments: