Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Job Search

Lately I've felt like I don't have much to say these days. Perhaps it's because I've been busy settling into our new place. But now all the boxes are unpacked and the curtains I planned to sew are finished. The only thing left to do is to find a job.

I think the hardest part about looking for a job is that game of chance you play. Whenever I send out lots of applications, I'm always afraid that the job I really want will be the last place that calls for an interview. This time that's inherently part of my job search. I don't want to go back to editing, and I don't want to work full time. I want to teach composition or English literature, but my timing is off. All the schools around here were a month into their first semester of the school year by the time we got settled enough for me to start applying. If they do happen to have an opening, the earliest opening would be in January. But I want something to fill my days with now. That means that I either need to find a job where I won't burn any bridges if I leave after two or three months or one that I can continue to work at even while I teach elsewhere because the first job is only a few hours a week. Hoping to accomplish the latter, I've been applying for teacher's aid positions in the local public schools. That way, I figured, I might actually get some teaching time and most of the positions are part time. Anything to avoid temp agencies. But if nothing pans out in the next few weeks, maybe I'll try the temp agencies. Or maybe I'll just go volunteer at the local library. I won't make any money that way, but at least I'll have something to do. And I won't feel bad about leaving if I get a better job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Congratulations on your new job. I'm sure you will be great. I am learning with some volunteering I'm doing (with much, much, much less hard core students, by the way) that you can't make a difference over night. My advice: know that you are doing good even if it is not immediately evident. Good luck.
SH

MrsVegasBabe said...

We have 400 openings in Clark County if you really want to be a teacher...

I'm sure Dan would be willing to make another move to fulfill your dreams of tapping into the Dangerous Minds of some inner city thugs.

Think about it.

Timid Tripper said...

It does sound tempting!