- "No, Buffalo Bill, I'm not going to the hospital. Just leave it alone and I'll pull it out myself." (We figured she either had a splinter or an ax in her head.)
- "Annie Oakley, I have to get to work. I have things I need to do." This was shouted several times and each time was punctuated by the front door slamming.
- "Get it through your head, Annie Oakley. You're not black!" In fact she is a short, Asian girl.
- "Why do you lie to me Buffalo Bill? I know you're cheating on me."
Last week, I noticed this awful stench one morning. A few days later it was still there, and then I remembered that I had seen Buffalo Bill leaving one morning with one of those big, black trash bags. And things had been incredibly silent over there since our trip to Portland back in March. If you've read Faulkner's "A Rose for Emily" or seen Hitchcock's Rear Window, I'd bet you'd be thinking the same thing I was; Buffalo Bill finally killed her and her body is rotting in the apartment while he carefully removes her bit by bit.
So what would you do? I thought about going over and slyly asking how Annie Oakley is doing or if Buffalo Bill had noticed that foul smell out in the hall. I mentioned it to the custodian in the hopes that he'd know if it were really a body rotting. He just mopped the carpet in the hallway. It didn't really kill the smell. I wondered if I should say something to management, but before I got around to doing so, the truth became quite apparent when I woke up at midnight to hysterical screaming.
Buffalo Bill: "Shut up, Annie Oakley! Just shut up. You'll upset the neighbors."
Annie Oakley: "You're lying to me again. I don't care. This is the way I am. You're trying to control me again. I knew that if I came back you would. I don't care if I'm too loud." And then she stomped on the ground several times.

3 comments:
ha ha ha. Thanks for the great post and the laughs. I LOVE apartments (in this case my caps are meant to be sarcastic). Good times.
Great story, but what was that smell? Frightening!
Yeah, that's the scary part. I still don't know what the smell was, but it's gone now. Maybe after "Annie" walked out on him, "Bill" let the place go to pot and let the garbage pile up. And then when she returned, he cleaned it up.
Post a Comment