Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Garden Boxes

Lowe's was awesome to me the other night. Often I go in there and I can't find anyone to help me or ask me questions, but Saturday night, they saved my bacon.

I was feeling super motivated to build a wooden container for a backyard garden, but Dan had to chaperon a stake dance. So I thought I'd just take BG and we'd see what we could figure out on our own. I was able to load three large pieces of wood (2x10x8) in their little blue wood shuttles with a baby in tow, but getting it to the cash register let alone into my car turned out to be a real trick. Lucky me, the employees at Lowe's took pity on me and helped me through it.

So there I am like a crazy lady, holding BG in one arm and dragging this blue cart loaded with wood to the cash register. I'm thinking, they really ought to put baby seats on these blue carts, while everyone else is probably thinking, "What on earth made you think you could do this with a baby?" I make it to the self-checkout where I manage to make the guy on duty ring my wood up for me with his handy-dandy scanner gun. He also had to help me push the right button to pay for it with my gift card, but that has nothing to do with BG. That was just me being ignorant. So much for the "self" part of the checkout.

Then as I'm dragging the wood out to my car, another employee sees me and offers to help load the wood in my car. I had managed to get half of the backseat to lie flat so that BG could still sit in her carseat and so that only about three feet of wood would have to hang out of the trunk of my compact car instead of eight feet. But I also had to drag the stroller out of the trunk and stick it in the front seat to make room. I had thought to ask for a little red flag to hang on the wood, but I didn't have anything to attach it with or anything to keep my trunk from bouncing open all the way home. But that nice Lowe's employee went in and got some twine to tie on the flag and tie my trunk closed.

I may be a little half-cocked and looney, but I figured Lowe's deserved some credit for helping me out of their store and on my way home.

3 comments:

Jeffy said...

Nice job Lowes. And YOU!

La La Land said...

Oooh, maybe I'll switch from Home Depot to Lowes!

Jamie said...

That's awesome!! So - has the container made an appearance yet?