Monday, February 02, 2009

Question Time: Car Seats

I need some input from those of you who have been through this before. It's getting to be time to buy a new car seat for Baby Girl and as usual, I'm a little bit overwhelmed by all the options. What I need to know from those of you who have made this transition is whether it is worth it to spend the extra money to buy a convertible car seat that I can also eventually use as a booster seat or whether I should just get a smaller convertible car seat and worry about the booster later.

Now that I'm home and away from the pressure of trying to make a decision while my baby whines, I'm thinking it would make more sense to buy a middle-grade convertible and then later buy a middle-grade booster. I think it would still be cheaper assuming prices don't change much in the next few years. And it would be easier on my current budget, but being the perfectionist that I am, I'd hate to make a mistake about this just to save a few bucks now.

Also any other advice about car seats would also be welcomed and appreciated.

3 comments:

The Hyer Family said...

I've bought my fair share of car seats...just bought the 6th! I use the Britax Roundabout after the infant seat and LOVE it...it's a convertible and my kids started backwards in it until a year...it's pricey, but the safest and you won't hear anyone say they don't like it...I then moved Lauren into a 5-point harness booster, (basically a bigger carseat), and then recently just got her one that uses just the seatbelts...I don't go for the big ginourmous one that lasts them forever because they are too big...Britax makes one that goes to like 80 pounds...but way too big, and what 8 year old wants to sit in such a huge carseat??? Go for the Britax Roundabout, or the one just bigger than it (used to be the MArathon, maybe it's still called that...)...you won't regret it, and then get her a booster when it's time...just my two-sense...

Timid Tripper said...

THanks Shannon! I'll have to check it out.

Jessica said...

We have two Britax Roundabouts, and LOVE them. They cost a fortune, but I've never regretted the purchase. The straps never get twisted and they are very easy to adjust. It is supposed to go up to 65 pounds, but I would have a pretty hard time talking my 5-year-old into sitting in a "car seat."

THe 5-year-old now sits in one of those large Britax boosters. It's also pricey, but I like it a lot better than our $20 Graco booster. The Graco is great for carpooling or switching to different cars for the afternoon.