Son of Rambow: It's the typical story of young boys who become friends, face conflict in their friendship, and then overcome it, but I enjoyed the way in which the story was retold. I'll admit that the fact that it took place in Great Britain earned it points before I was even five minutes into the movie, but I also enjoyed the contrast between the two main characters. One was so innocent and sweet, even if he wasn't too innocent to be caught up in the heady waters of popularity, and the other boy was so obnoxious that when he was kind, it was even more endearing. The movie's not too cerebral; mostly it's a very light hearted film.
Penelope: I'm sure just about everyone saw this movie before we did, but I thought it was completely adorable. And the moral of loving yourself as you are really struck a chord with me. Lately Dan and I have been talking about our childhood expectations of what adult life would be like. Dan thought he'd be a doctor in Orange County, California. I always assumed I'd have tons of kids. At one point I planned on having eight children, which I know is still a distant possibility, but I never thought I'd be in my thirties when I had my first kid. Rather than bemoan my disappointed expectations, Penelope got me thinking that I should celebrate the person I have become and appreciate what I do have in life. And of course I loved the fact that Penelope didn't have to be rescued by a man. I even like to think of her "rescue" as a collaborative effort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh good - I'm excited to see Son of Rambow. I just love the title!! :) Especially the spelling of Rambow. I'm glad you liked Penlope! It's kind of fun to see Christina Ricci in a non-goth role. :)
Never heard of S.o.R. Strange. But I did JUST see Penelope. I liked it. Jake wouldn't watch with me though. Lame.
Hey Alisa! It's your old pal Mike Lozano! How have you been these last oh, ten years? I hope all is well and you should check out my blog as well. Hope to hear from ya soon.
ps. do you still keep in touch with Laura?
I have not seen either of these... out of touch! I would like to say it was because I was so busy canvasing for CHANGE (**sorry to use your blog to espouse my political views...), but we only did that for one day.
I thought (until about 5 minutes before I got my BA) that the day after college grad you married your college sweetheart, moved to Europe and started having babies while working on advanced degrees and seeing the world by train… close.
** Should Alisa allow this comment to post to her blog, this in no way signifies that she endorses Barab Obama, the National Democratic Part or the abstract concept of “change.” The content of this comment should be entirely attributed to MrsVegasBabe. I am that Babe, and I endorse this message. Get out and vote!
Sara, you can always use my blog to promote your political views. Sometimes they're my views too. :)
Post a Comment