While I haven't had too much time to blog lately, I've had plenty of time to watch movies while doing late night feedings or trying to get my baby to take her nap. In fact, knowing that I've got a movie to watch has helped me make it through those feedings. I've been catching up on my long list of chick flicks that Dan wouldn't watch with me. Here are a few I've enjoyed recently.
Music and Lyrics--This movie made me finally admit that I'm a huge Hugh Grant fan, (except for that whole "I know I'm dating Elizabeth Hurley, but I'm going to pick up a prostitute anyway" thing). I know some people find his stuttering annoying, but to me it's endearing. There wasn't so much stuttering in this movie, but I loved the one-liners. As for Drew, I'm not so much a fan, but she was okay. This one isn't necessarily worth watching repeatedly, but it was fun the first time through and I loved the 80s music video! My favorite Hugh Grant movie though would have to be About a Boy. If you haven't seen it, run out and get it now.
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants--I listened to this book awhile ago and thought I'd check out the movie. It's definitely a teen film, but I guess I'm also a fan of America Ferrera. I loved her in Ugly Betty until every episode seemed to be about sex. I don't understand how a tv show that supposedly celebrates the smart, if unfashionable, woman can still sell so much sex. Anyway, I loved her portrayal of Carmen. And watching the movie was very cathartic, even if it did feel like I'd just been feeding my mind cotton candy while watching it. If you like America Ferrera too, look for La Misma Luna. My sister saw it at Sundance (she has connections that I don't) and recommends it.
Under the Greenwood Tree--This is the sort of movie that feels more intelligent because it's British and based (although I'm guessing loosely so, since it has a happy ending) on a Thomas Hardy book even as it roils with sexual tension. Gotta love that make out scene in the local pond.
Amazing Grace--One of the more intellectual movies I've seen these days. The movie tells the story of the man who fought to end the slave trade in England. Until I saw this movie, I had no idea that even as Jane Austen was writing all her books, English captains were participating in the slave trade. I had to rewatch parts of it though because it was intricate enough that watching it half asleep didn't seem to do it justice.
Freedom Writers--I have very mixed feelings about this movie. On the one hand, it made me feel guilty because like Ms. Erin Gruwell I spent a few months working with a similar student population: poor kids wrapped up in violence and gangs. Unlike Ms. Gruwell, I left those kids to teach priviledged kids in a parochial school. Gruwell was inspiring and I wish that I had had a better capacity to reach the first group of kids. But it also irked me that the movie was Erin Gruwell against the world. The other teachers she worked with were petty and intolerant of her students. Even her husband left her. The movie would have you believe that he just wasn't saintly enough to stick it out, but in my mind, when she took on two extra jobs in addition to teaching in order to provide supplies for her students, she left him first. I've felt the same struggle as a teacher, wanting to do my best for my students even as my husband asks me when I'm going to start paying attention to him. I think it's great that she reached so many students, but I also find Hollywood's portrayal of her as the hero insulting to the many teachers I know who have stuck with underpriviledged kids over the years and their marriages. They haven't made the same sacrifices and so haven't had the same dramatic success, but they have connected with students and had mini-successes along the way. Since Gruwell quit teaching after she got her first group of students through high school, ultimately I don't think she's any more successful than the teachers that stick with it for decades. But I'm in neither group, so I guess I'll just accept the fact that Hollywood won't be making a movie of my life anytime soon.
Lately I've also been relishing Masterpiece Theater. If you've also been watching, you'll know what I'm talking about. If you haven't heard about this year's Jane Austen fest, you'll have to add some of these movies to your Netflix queue. My favorites so far have been Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility. When it comes to Sense and Sensibility, I can't say it any better than this, but I will add my own two cents. I loved the fact that Willoughby was a scoundrel all the way through and it was nice to have a younger actress playing Elinor. But you already know what I think about Hugh Grant, and Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, and Hugh Laurie are all much better actors. Emma's screenplay was more clever and delightful, but it was also nice to see a version that was more faithful to the book.
Wednesday, April 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What? I thought Under the Greenwood Tree WAS the Thomas Hardy version. You should just read that instead. It's awesome.
I agree with you about Freedom Writers. I was conflicted.
Also, I've been watching all the Masterpieces too. It's fun, as long as they are pretty good. I enjoyed Sense and Sensibility, but I like the other version better.
Post a Comment