Friday, October 12, 2007

My Two Cents

As much as I'd like to think of myself as an authority on Queen Elizabeth, I'm not really. And as strong as my opinions are about movies, I'm no movie critic either. But I did do quite a bit of research on Queen Elizabeth for my thesis, which meant that I had to see the new movie Elizabeth: The Golden Age even though I knew its inevitable historical inaccuracies would irk me. Still, I wanted to give it a fair chance. After all I didn't dare see the first Elizabeth movie. Ironically, it was too rough for my Puritan (prudish?) sensibilities.

As far as movie reviews go, Carina Chocan of the L.A. Times says it best, but I also need to vent. Initially I was okay with some of the little things that didn't seem quite right. I know more about the first part of her reign anyway, so I wasn't always sure about possible inaccuracies. Besides, I know the director has to create a context for the central conflict. But halfway through the movie I was bored and this is a topic I love, so I can only imagine how the rest of the audience felt. With all the sweeping musical scores and the constant melodrama surrounding every action, by the time they got to the climax, it was hard to feel the urgency of the sea battle. And then there's the fact that they were a little heavy handed with the symbolism. Did the Spanish really have to always wear all black all the time and did Prince Philip really need to prance about, screaming "whore" at regular intervals? Don't even get me started on the white horses jumping off the Spanish ships or the cooing baby.

I will say that I enjoyed the cinematography. Cate Blanchett and Geoffrey Rush were great to watch and their performances could erase a world of ineptitude, but when the screenwriters decided to rewrite Elizabeth's Speech to the Troops at Tilbury I almost fell out of my chair. I mean, how do you take one of the greatest speeches of all time and rewrite it? I realize that the language is archaic and unfamiliar to most audiences. But the beauty of dramatization is that through the performance, the actress can help the audience better understand. So, the only thing that will soothe my outrage is to present the speech myself at least for my own reading pleasure if not for anyone else's. I still get excited every time I read it. After all, this speech is part of the reason why I became an English major.

My loving people,
We have been persuaded by some that are careful of our safety, to take heed how we commit our selves to armed multitudes, for fear of treachery; but I assure you I do not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people. Let tyrants fear, I have always so behaved myself that, under God, I have placed my chiefest strength and safeguard in the loyal hearts and good-will of my subjects; and therefore I am come amongst you, as you see, at this time, not for my recreation and disport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live and die amongst you all; to lay down for my God, and for my kingdom, and my people, my honour and my blood, even in the dust. I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm; to which rather than any dishonour shall grow by me, I myself will take up arms, I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field. I know already, for your forwardness you have deserved rewards and crowns; and We do assure you in the word of a prince, they shall be duly paid you. In the mean time, my lieutenant generals shall be in my stead, than whom never prince commanded a more noble or worthy subject; not doubting but by your obedience to my general, by your concord in the camp, and your valour in the field, we shall shortly have a famous victory over those enemies of my God, of my kingdom, and of my people.

4 comments:

Cami said...

Thanks for this great review! I will be prepared should I choose to chance it.

Andrea said...

How funny - I just watched an interview of Cate Blanchett the other night - one one of the few occasions that I've watched television this month. I wrote an essay on that speech once - it's a masterpiece of political prose. I'm kind of irritated that they changed it, too - after all, if Kenneth Branaugh can pull off the original Elizabethan English in a work of fiction, surely they can do the same with an actual historical speech! There was already only a 20% chance of me seeing it because I'm a very passive movie consumer, but I think that has sunk. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Andrea said...

oh, and I'm really hoping that my fuzzy memory of Brit lit serves, and Shakespeare and Elizabeth were indeed contemporaries. If not - *blushes* they might revoke my English major credentials.

Timid Tripper said...

Actually, I was thinking the same thing. If Branaugh can do Shakespeare, which is essentially the same time period (he continued to write plays several years after Elizabeth died, but also wrote several during her lifetime), why can't they include one original speech--especially when it's the most famous speech. I'm still trying to get over the disgust. ;)