Last week, I was trying to explain the benefits of a writing journal, or some place to jot down good ideas for writing about later. Silly me, I told one class that I use a notebook to write down ideas for my blog. I knew even as the words left my mouth that I should probably not admit to such a computer savy group that I have a blog.
A few days later, one of my students said to me, "Is your blog in Adobe Acrobat?" The question was so odd to me, at first I didn't understand what he was asking.
Another one jumped in: "And did you write about your college?" When I looked at him quizzically and said no, he said "Yes you did. Admit it."
Suddenly something clicked and I realized they were talking about my thesis. Clearly they had googled my name and found a pdf of my master's thesis. "Yeah, read that. You should find that interesting," I told them. All 130+ pages of it, or however long it ended up being. For now, I take some comfort in the fact that my blog isn't public and I hope it's not searchable. Just to be safe though, I think I'll avoid mentioning my blog in the future and keep my fingers crossed that if they do happen to find it, they'll be thoroughly unimpressed. Or at the very least, I hope they'll let me know that they found it.
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ha! I've had this same problem. I don't really want my music students to know about my blog, but one day I was showing some of them pictures of my harry potter extravaganza and they memorized the address. Hmph. No more complaining about lessons for me!
Yeah - I carefully kept mine a secret except from my close friends and family, but this ended when a friend who had linked to mine in her "favorite links" column went public with hers (identifying location, posting pictures, etcetera). Not that there's anything terribly compromising on it...but I miss the freedom of having fewer people know who I was. Sigh... So maybe ask your friends who link to you to scrub any references to your last name. You, yourself, are very good about using pseudonyms...if only I had been less confident that first names would never have me found out. :)
The irony in all of this is that I write my blog so that others will read it. I just want my readers to either be people I trust, or people I don't know and will never meet. But I'm paranoid enough that for the most part I've always avoided writing anything about my students that might get me into trouble.
I try to keep my blog top secret... that is one reason I only use my top secret screen name... also, I like that some people think I am a stripper.
Post a Comment