I've heard that a fairly common post-college nightmare involves dreaming that it's finals week and you've just discovered that you're registered for a class you've never attended. I've never had that dream, but last Sunday night I had a similar nightmare. I dreamed that it was midterm and I'd just realized that I was registered for a science and a math class that I hadn't been attending. A test was coming up in both classes, and I was hopelessly behind. But I needed to pass the classes that semester so that I could get my teacher's license, meaning that I'd need to study really hard to eak a passing grade out of the class. It felt so overwhelming.
I had this nightmare the night before I had to go back to work at my school preparing for the new school year. Needless to say, I was nervous and anxious about going back to work. But spending the week preparing for school has made it all a bit easier. As I planned out the books I want to read with my students and the papers I'll have them write, I started to get excited about teaching again. And I look forward to seeing the students.
So despite my whining, it's not the job itself that I don't look forward to, it's the lack of free time. Now my Saturdays will be devoted to running errands rather than spending the day having fun with Dan. And that also means that I get to go grocery shopping with everyone else who works. I already miss shopping on Monday mornings. It will also be tough to find time to blog, but perhaps that's good because then I won't be tempted to say anything about my job that will get me in trouble.
Tomorrow morning I get to go collect my seventh graders for the first day of school. I'm a bit nervous tonight, but optimistic that this year won't be as overwhelming as the last or as my subconcious seems to think.
Sunday, August 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Good luck!!
Hi...it's Shannon...good luck! You'll be great!
Good luck with school. My nightmares always involve me forgetting when my math classes are and finding out I've not been attending for months. Ugh. Why do I care?
Post a Comment