Friday, June 29, 2007

Homerun

While we were in California last weekend, Dan and I went with his parents to Angel Stadium to enjoy a baseball game. We had great seats out in left field and about seven rows up from the field itself. The bullpen, where the pitchers warm up (I'm pretty proud of myself for knowing such lingo as if I were a real baseball fan), was just to our left and close enough for me to snap this lovely picture of a guy stretching. I don't know enough about baseball to know if he's important or not, but I took the picture anyway.

In years past, the highlight of the game for me would have been the free baseball cap handed to each of the fans as we walked into the park, the fireworks, or the ice cream sandwich I ate during the sixth and seventh inning (it was an extremely cold and hard sandwich and quite tasty).

But Dan has done a lot to help me appreciate the game of baseball over the years, which is how I know what a bullpen is. Due to his successful efforts to acculturate me to the game of baseball, I would have to say that the highlight of the game was when Vlad Guerrero hit a homerun into left field. For just a moment, it looked like it might actually land in the stands where we were sitting, but instead it bounced on the steps of the bullpen. As it flew towards us, I wondered if we might actually be able to catch the ball even as I panicked that we might have to catch it. It was awesome!

1 comment:

Cami said...

Fun! Jake and I sometimes go see the Orioles here in MD. I'm not a huge fan, but i can appreciate the experience.