Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Cry Baby

Last weekend we went to see Evan Almighty. It was okay. I'm sure most people can guess that the movie isn't too heavy on plot, and much to my relief it wasn't anywhere near as scandalous as the previews to Bruce Almighty (I skipped that one). My biggest beef is that all the funny parts were in all the trailers, so it felt like it was half as funny as it could have been. If you haven't seen many trailers for this movie, you might enjoy a few more laughs than I did.

Most troubling during my viewing of the movie though was the fact that more than once, I got all teary during the movie. Don't ask me why. Before I turned eighteen, the only movie that ever caused me to cry was My Girl, which in my mind was a very manipulative film. Back then, when I watched a tearjerker like Beaches or Steel Magnolias, I was usually the one with enough composure to pass the Kleenex box to all my girlfriends and family while they were falling apart around me.

But in the last ten years, I've grown increasingly more weepy. Some might say I've finally grown a heart, but in addition to the obvious tearjerkers, I also cry about some pretty silly things. Just the other day, I became teary when NPR played John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High," saying that Colorado had made it a state song. The tears were probably a result of PMS, exhaustion, and nostalgia for a song I grew up with, but seriously! And to add insult to injury, I can't even blame any of this on pregnancy and only half the time does it have anything to do with PMS. It must be old age.

I'm still not sure why I got all weepy in Evan Almighty. No one died. Evan and his wife did have a falling out and were reunited, but it's not like the story was that dramatic or the acting was so powerful as to elicit an emotional response. At any rate, the one thing that gives me comfort is the knowledge that I'm not alone; I know that there are women everywhere who, like me, find themselves crying over the silliest things sometimes.

3 comments:

Cami said...

I do it too. I wonder why. Sometimes I cry at the weirdest things. I don't know if I would have cried in Evan Almighty though . . .

Katie M. said...

Yeah, my latest cause of teary-eyes is that TV show "So You Think You Can Dance." :) Sounds funny, but they have some amazing choreography (the modern/lyrical stuff) that can be pretty touching. You should check it out! I love that show!

Elder Richey said...

Wow, Alisa. Crying at "Evan Almighty" huh? You better not watch "Blades of Glory" unless you have a box of tissues. :)

Oh, and I got sick of waiting for that book to come so I just got a copy from the library. I'll start reading it ASAP.