Thursday, August 31, 2006

For Better and For Worse

After giving it some serious thought and doing a little reseach in the gossip mags left in the gym downstairs, I have come to the conclusion that I feel more sorry for Katie Holmes than I do for Brittany Spears. Of course, after K-Fed's debut at the Teen Choice Awards, I thought about reconsidering, but then decided that I still feel worse for Katie. Sure Tom Cruise is better looking than K-Fed and better established in his career, but he also seems to have a tighter hold on Katie. Whereas Brittany can't get her husband to pay attention to her, Katie's husband seems to pay too much attention. In a recent gossip magazine "a friend" said that Katie doesn't understand why Tom's being so strict about who can see baby Suri and wanted to have more of her friends over. The fact that she went through labor for this child and then can't show her off to her friends seems suffocating to me. Brittany can walk away from Kevin anytime she wants. She's the one with the money. Katie isn't exactly poor, but can you imagine a custody battle with a guy who limits who she can show her baby to? And then there's the fact that during his last divorce with Nichole Kidman, her phone was illegally bugged and although it wasn't explicitly connected to Tom Cruise, I don't think the guy bugging her phone was doing it for his own kicks and giggles. I admit that much of my pity is motivated by my cynicism regarding Hollywood couples. I don't think either couple is going to last, but maybe I'm wrong.

Well, now that I've got that off my chest, that's one thing I'm not sure I'll miss, all the gossip about the movie industry. You'd think that since the gossip mags are distributed all across the USA that it wouldn't feel any different here, but since we've moved to LA, I've noticed that such gossip seems to be everywhere. In addition to the grocery store checkout lines, it also shows up on the evening news, on our local NPR station (not to mention all the other radio stations), and in the LA Times.

Speaking of moving, I've finally started packing, which is depressing because it makes me face how much stuff we really have. Ugh!

1 comment:

MrsVegasBabe said...

T-shirts I would wear if I lived in LA:
Free Katie

Feed Nicole

Forget Tom

-VB