Friday, January 23, 2009

January Children’s Books

Mem Fox
Recently I was introduced to Fox’s books and she is quickly becoming a favorite author. She’s great at providing text that is just the right length for Baby Girl’s attention span (which is as long as it takes to turn the next page). Her text is also clever, often incorporating repetition and rhyme, which creates a pleasant rhythm for toddlers. So far, we’ve read and enjoyed Where Is the Green Sheep, Harriet, You’ll Drive Me Wild, Tough Boris, and Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes, which is by far our favorite. The illustrations are charming, even BG loves them, and the text is rhythmic and sweet.

The Lambaroo by Diana Kimpton, illus. by Rosalind Beardshaw
This book was written by an adoptive mother for her adopted daughter who felt like she didn’t fit in with the rest of the family. Lamb is worried that he doesn’t look like his Ma-a-a, Kangaroo, but they are ultimately able to recognize that being a family is the most important thing. I like the use of animals to teach this lesson and the illustrations are bright and endearing. The text isn’t as concise as a toddler book, but it’s still pretty brief and the illustrations held BG’s attention for the most part.

Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed by Mo Willems
How could I pass up a book with this title? Naked mole rats are part mole, part rat, and they don’t wear clothes, except for Wilbur who likes clothes. As you’ve probably guessed the message is that sometimes it’s okay to be different. This book is probably more appropriate for kids old enough to laugh at words like “naked” and “mole rat.” I enjoyed the subtle humor, but it’s a bit over BG’s head. Still it’s a book I would consider adding to our library for future reading. Certainly it could be a good discussion starter.

3 comments:

Cami said...

I love Mo Willems. His early readers are now my favorite--well, after Knuffle Bunny, of course.

And Where is the Green Sheep was my Ethan's favorite for a good couple years. Good times.

The Charm said...

Great picks! By the way, do you have something that might work for me to read at a ward service activity (book drive). They thought it would be fun to have a dramatic reading...okay they thought it would be fun for a drama queen to read a kids book to our ward. :) So I need something funny. I was kind of thinking Walter the Farting Dog, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut that might not be appropriate. :)

Timid Tripper said...

Charm, I like Walter the Farting dog and you can always substitute tooting if you think people will be offended. I'll have to see if I can figure out anything else for you.