Saturday, December 29, 2007

Where Have You Gone Timidtripper?

Since my cousin with the stripper name asked me where I've been, I figure I should explain why I've been so absent from my blog for the past month. I think it's safe to say that December is normally a crazy month for most people. But it wasn't enough for me, so I decided to add a few more events to my life. So here's the basic rundown. At the very end of November, we closed on a house. Two weeks later we shifted all our stuff to the new house. And even though we shifted all our stuff to the new house, we lived in a state of chaos that last week before Christmas because I didn't have time to unpack boxes. Instead I was busy Christmas shopping, and trying to finish up the school quarter, and packing for our trip to California. Then add little things like the school's Christmas program and the fact that someone tried to hack into Powergrade at our school. I'm lucky enough to share some responsibility for Powergrade, although I try to shirk that responsibility as much as possible. And in the middle of all this craziness I get to regularly rush out of school to make it home in time for the cable guy to install the internet or for the fridge to be delivered. It didn't help that school got out Friday at noon and our flight was the next morning at six, meaning that I got a total of three hours of sleep the night before. So by the time Christmas rolled around, I was in some sort of state.

Of course, I have to admit that part of the reason why I was up so late the night before was because I was having my own little Christmas party opening all of this:

When people ask me why I teach at the middle school level instead of high school, I just tell them it's because of the Christmas presents. Of course I think it makes a big difference that I teach at a school that includes elementary grades. My students were very kind and generous this year and I think all the chocolate they gave me just might help me make it through to May if it lasts that long.

And I hit a milestone of sorts this December, receiving my first Starbucks gift card. In the end I walked away with a little under $50 to be used at Starbucks. That's a lot of hot chocolate for a Mormon teacher at a parochial school.

5 comments:

Cami said...

HA! That is quite a load. I got a pretty good haul from my students this year, even though I only have 12. Once when I got a starbucks card, I spent it all at once at got 10 kinds of treats!

Christa said...

Dude, Starbucks strawberry and creme frappucinos = golden. Plus I think they have mint too. Scrumptious!

Anonymous said...

My middle schoolers seldom brought me gifts that did not result in calls to the bomb squad.

The Hyer Family said...

Congrats on the house! Yeah for you! When you can actually afford a house in Utah, it makes missing CA a little harder!

terica said...

Hilairous! Starbucks...that makes me laugh and bless your students little hearts that is some major loot! Awesome! That looks like fun!