Saturday, May 19, 2007

To Be Update

I decided to turn down the interview at the college. I didn't feel like I could break my commitment with my current school and chances are, I'd be working just as hard there if they had me teaching more than one class.

The day after I called back and turned down the interview I realized that what I really miss about college is the literature. One of the free write prompts I use reference The Rape of the Lock and as I tried to explain the poem to my students, I found myself longing to teach it. This coming week I'm going to have the eighth graders try their hand at writing poems based on a piece of American art work. It's something I'm doing with the social studies teacher. As I was thinking of how to introduce this assignment, I realized that this might be the perfect opportunity to share an excerpt of the Rape of the Lock. So I found a great passage with lots of melodrama, but now that I've made the photo copies I'm wondering about the wisdom of that choice. There's the obvious concern that it will be far over their heads, but I'm more worried that some parent will see the title and freak out on me. But tonight I'm feeling adventurous. And who knows. Maybe it will spark a bit of curiosity in one of my students. Even if it doesn't, at least I'll get to talk about it.

No comments: